Saturday, October 14, 2006

News.com.au Death and Funeral Notices

The News.com.au death and funeral notices have recently been revamped. Now the listing newspaper not only receives a mention on the notice, but the name of the deceased is a link TO that newspaper.

Firstly, I don't really have a problem with a notice having a link. At www.obits.com.au the banner on a notice links to the funeral director's website (if one exists), and we often contain links in the notices referring to the nominated charity, where this is specifically requested.

But I see these links as being RELEVANT. If someone can explain to me how clicking on the name of a deceased person, and having that link go to the home page of the newspaper listing the notice, is at all relevant, then I'd be very interested to hear.

In my opinion, it's tacky and irreverent. If they MUST link to the individual paper, then I think they should at least do it on their OWN name, which gets a mention TWICE.

No comments: